找回密碼
 註冊
查看: 1269|回復: 0
打印 上一主題 下一主題
收起左側

This is what I am expecting myself to be writing.

[複製鏈接]
跳轉到指定樓層
1#
發表於 6-7-2008 22:59:02 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
Yes I wrote it myself and I checked it myself
        17thApril, 2008

TheEditor,
        TheAge

DearSir,

I am concerned that the media, such as newspapers and news on TV, havenegatively portrayed teenagers.

The media has a stereotypical view of teenagers. They reported teenagersfrequently take on drugs, engage in drink driving, involve in gangfightings and skip classes. In fact this doesn't happen as frequentlyas the media reported. Australia has 1,642,669 teenagers as of 2007according to Australian Bureau of Statistics.  Themedia reported only a few typical cases. Those few are not being ableto represent all teenager's behaviour. This can be demonstrated bythe Corey Delaney Worthington's “infamous or famous” partyincident.  He hosted a party in his family home in Narre Warren onJanuary ? when his parents were away in Queensland for holiday. Hisparty ended up in a mess after 500 gate crashers made trouble afterCorey posted the details of the party on the Internet. He was madeeither famous and infamous by some with some stating him as a legendand some stating him as an idiot. The only thing that concerns me isthat he is one of the  many teenagers in Australia, but the media used the incident to show that teenagers of this generation are wild.This is simply not true. Corey is just only ONE teenager. He is notable but to represent ALL Australia's teenagers. Most of theteenagers are not as bad as the media depicted but much better thanthat. They work hard, go to school and come out from school with goodVCE entries.

I recommend that the media should report more positive sides ofAustralian's young people.  Excessive negative reporting does nothelp with youth issues.  There is a saying “For something insteadof against something”. So, media should support instead ofdestroying youths.

I am sure most people would know our young Olympic hero, Ian Thorpe. Heestablished a youthfoundation(http://www.ianthorpesfountainforyouth.com.au/).It has not been  not widely reported by the media and may be not toomany people knows about it.  Why not talk more about such kind ofgood things for the society instead of a few kids getting drunk,running from home, etc.  Positive reporting helps more on solvingyouthissues. The media should be doing that and not spending time onreporting too much negative things.

However,I am not saying that negative things should not be reported.  Only itshould not be more than enough.

The media had a long record of exaggerating things. They simply justexaggerate so that a few more newspaper could be sold.  CoreyDelaney's incident is a non-exception. The incident is just a pieceof little thing that could be solved easily if there's no mediaattention but the media loves these incidents. The media just takethis incident into public attention and started on exaggerating theincident. Corey went on to Channel 9's A Current Affair and wasinterviewed by the host. On air he was just a normal teenager and wasnot what the newspaper had described.  All that is needed by thepublic are the facts and not the things the media fancied.

I am sure I have made my points clear.

\                Yours sincerely,

............, 14
                Blackburn North

It's not bad but It could be better. I am kind of happy with this.

[ 本帖最後由 hixyz111 於 7-7-2008 01:19 編輯 ]
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊

本版積分規則

快速回復 返回頂部 返回列表